Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Rilo Kiley Officially Disbands


After months of speculation, talks of a hiatus and a couple of years of solo albums, Rilo Kiley has officially disbanded. The band's guitarist/vocalist Blake Sennett recently addressed the band's future in his interview with Spinner. Regarding the band, Sennett offered this comment:


"I just felt like there was a lot of deception, disloyalty, greed and things I don't really want to submit myself to. I had related that frustration to music but I just thought, 'I'm not going to put myself in that position again,' so I said, 'Fuck that, I can't do this anymore.'"

"That being said, it was probably immature and that came from a place of ego. I think that stuff will rear its head in anything you do, depending on the personnel you surround yourself with; things change overtime and people change and relationships change."



Sennett went on to discuss his distance from music after the band's last tour, his former side project, The Elected, becoming his main project and the possibility of issuing a collection of unreleased Rilo Kiley songs as a final release for the band. All of which you can read here


While not unexpected, this adds some finality to a very talented band whose other members have also recorded some excellent material in their own right. Vocalist/guitarist Jenny Lewis released a couple of solo albums as well as recording as Jenny and Johnny with Jonathan Rice. Bassist Pierre de Reeder has kept busy with the release of a solo album, That the Way it Was, and the creation of a record label, Little Record Company. Drummer Jason Boesel released Hustler's Son last year in addition to drumming for Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band and other session projects.   














No comments:

Post a Comment