Friday, May 4, 2012

Adam Yauch aka MCA of Beastie Boys (1964-2012)


It is with great regret and great remembrance that H & J honors the life and art of Adam Yauch, better known as MCA of Beastie Boys, who passed away earlier today at the age of 47 after a three year battle with cancer.

For me, it started with Check Your Head and seeing "So Whatcha Want" on MTV and "Gratitude" on The Box. Before that, they existed in image, mostly, with the occasional song/video playing in the background. Still, the summer of 1992 was the first full-on introduction to the Beasties and, then, I knew I had to have that album.    After buying that album and then diving into its followup, Ill Communication, there was a whole other world that opened up in which hip hop, punk and rock could co-exist with funky instrumentals, clever beats and great production, a fact that had further implanted in my mind once discovering their sophomore classic, Paul's Boutique.

From that point on, a new Beastie Boys album became a priority upon the day of their release with any random selection from their catalog working its way into my week. For the music and art that MCA contributed, produced and filmed and for his contributions as a hip hop pioneer, he could never be thanked enough. As such, his talents will forever live on in classics such as "Paul Revere," "Sure Shot," and "Make Some Noise." As  a fan, I am forever grateful to have been introduced to his legendary work. R.I.P. Adam Yauch, MCA and Nathaniel Hornblower.

"My name is MCA and I got a license to kill. I think you know what time it is. It's time to get ill."













No comments:

Post a Comment